Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Project: No Sew Table Cover


I have a little side table like this that is meant to be versatile with the change of a table cloth. I couldn't find any table cloths that I liked and apparently it is ok to charge like $30 for pure polyester and that wasn't going to cut it.
Enter zebra print fabric.

First step: cut a piece for the top.

Second Step: Used the staple gun to secure the fabric to the top by pulling the fabric tight around the edges and stapling my way around the circle.

Step Three: Measure and cut panels for the side- this is where the no sewing comes in. I ironed the sides to create crisp panels and then affixed one side of adhesive velcro to the top.

Step Four: I affixed the other piece of velcro to the table top along the edge. Then I took the panel and watched the magic of velcro first hand.

Step Five: Check it out! The panels were coming along nicely but there were some small gaps between the fabric due to "on the fly" measuring but, aha! because it is velcro I was able to move the panels around until they lined up perfectly.

Step Six: You can barely see the velcro but that is ok because the awesome pink pom-pom trim will cover that up. A little tug here and an adjustment there and then it was secured with some thumb tacks I just had around the house. I want to do a nailhead trim but they were out and you know what these don't look too bad for now.

Et voila, fini! It's a little Pottery Barn Teen with the zebra and the pink pom pom but you know what that can be swapped out. As with any project it requires tweaking and now I can go back to the trim section to check out what they have.

Not bad for not having picked up a needle and thread or hot glue gun, huh?

1 comment: