Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Project: TV Stand Make-over


This little three drawer dresser used to be the night stand in the room that my sister and I would stay in at our grandparents house. I inherited it and put it to work as the tv stand in my living room. The finish was unfortunate. It is this off-white/yellowish color dating from the 50's or 60's and it was blending in with my butter yellow walls,
that I want to paint blue remember?
After determining it wasn't an antique of major value and that I wouldn't be painting over walnut or zebra wood I started to prep it for a paint job. These sanding sponges are the best, so easy to use and they did the perfect job of roughing up the surface.
Picked out my paint color and primer and purchased several cans for the project. It's the worst when you run out half way through the job and end up making 3 trips to the store for the same thing. Buy more than you think, it's cheap ($3 a can) and you can always make one trip back to return the unused paint.
While the paint was drying I started to work on the hardware. The drawer pulls are these beautiful, brass butterflies that you hardly noticed before because the blended with the dresser and were tarnished and dark.
Break out the Brasso and voila! Those butterflies were ready to take flight.

The newly polished pulls went back on the drawers and they looked totally different.


Here she is in all her glory. Such a difference! The butterflies really pop and the plum color is perfect next to my eBay pillows. Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It looks so pretty! I really like the color (and your pillows)!

    ReplyDelete